Joshua M. Paulson
- Of Counsel
In addition to his criminal defense practice, Mr. Paulson is also experienced in civil rights and immigration law, including removal defense. He has been a CLE instructor for immigration practitioners seeking to understand the complex interplay between immigration and criminal law, and he frequently assists other criminal defense counsel in understanding the immigration consequences that may arise from particular outcomes in their cases.
Mr. Paulson traditionally dedicates a significant portion of his time to pro bono causes. He recently co-authored an amicus curiae brief before the Supreme Court in a California police brutality case for the National Police Accountability Project, and has lectured on racial justice and criminal procedure.
Prior to affiliating with Miedel & Mysliwiec LLP, Mr. Paulson maintained a solo practice in the Southern District of New York and worked with the firms of Emergent LLP and Harris, O'Brien, St. Laurent & Chaudhry LLP. He previously served as an Assistant Federal Public Defender in the Eastern District of Virginia, and as a state public defender with the Legal Aid Society in Manhattan.
Mr. Paulson received his J.D. from Columbia University, where he was a Lowenstein Public Interest Fellow, a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, and a Charles Evans Hughes Fellow. He earned his Master of Arts degree from Stanford University, which he attended on a Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship; and his B.A. from Carleton College, where he graduated Magna Cum Laude and with Distinction.
A multi-year honoree of Super Lawyers, Mr. Paulson is admitted to practice before federal and state courts in California, New York, and Virginia. He is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the American Immigration Lawyers Association. He is fluent in Spanish.
Areas of Practice
- Federal Criminal Defense
- White Collar Crime
- Civil Rights
- Immigration and Removal Defense
- New York, 2008
- California, 2006
- Virginia, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Columbia Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. - 2005
- Honors: Lowenstein Public Interest Fellow
- Honors: Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Honors: Charles Evans Hughes Fellow
- Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota
- B.A. - 1996
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Latin American Studies
- Stanford University
- Master of Arts
- Honors: Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowship
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
Past Employment Positions
- St. Laurent & Chaudhry LLP
- Eastern District of Virginia, Assistant Federal Public Defender
- Legal Aid Society, Manhattan, State Public Defender