Mr. Mysliwiec has represented hundreds of clients in high-stakes criminal and civil litigation matters. Mr. Mysliwiec's criminal practice includes defending clients against "white collar" criminal charges and against more traditional criminal charges such as murder, rape, and narcotics distribution. His clients have included a Fortune 500 company accused of allowing employees to engage in illegal contract kickback practices, a corporate Board Chairman alleged to have orchestrated international criminal financial transactions, and a Bronx man charged with Murder in the First Degree. His civil litigation experience includes mass torts, employment, disability insurance, and contract issues, among other areas of the law. Mr. Mysliwiec takes pride in credibly and aggressively representing both individuals and companies - no matter what they have been accused of doing or what rights they have at stake.
Watch Aaron Mysliwiec address high-stakes criminal and civil litigation questions in this exclusive interview with ReelLawyers
What are examples of health care fraud schemes?
What causes the government to start an investigation of a health care provider, such as a doctor or small medical office?
What investigation methods does the government use to investigate health care fraud?
How can a well-intentioned doctor or medical practice suddenly find itself facing a criminal or civil health care fraud?
What parallel proceedings is a doctor or other health care provider likely to face in addition to a criminal investigation?
Business crime, fraud, bribery and public corruption
What types of business fraud or corruption cases do you see most often in your practice?
Cases involving complicated evidence
What other kinds of complicated evidence may a defense lawyer have to collect and understand?
Internal investigation in white collar crime/regulatory situations
What is an internal investigation?
Synthetic drugs/narcotics cases
Can I be convicted of selling synthetic drugs if I did not know the substance was prohibited under the law?
What novel issues can be presented in synthetic drug cases?
Before co-founding Miedel & Mysliwiec LLP, Mr. Mysliwiec's career included working for a premier international law firm as a litigator in the firm's white collar crime and commercial litigation practice groups. He was also a Partner at the Law Firm of Dratel & Mysliwiec, P.C., a boutique litigation firm that represented companies and individuals throughout the country. Finally, he was a Senior Trial Lawyer and Supervisor for several years at The Bronx Defenders, a nationally renowned public defender office recognized for the high quality legal representation and other critical services it provides to its indigent clients.
In addition to Mr. Mysliwiec's experience, he is the past President of the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (www.nysacdl.org), an organization with hundreds of criminal defense attorney members. He has also conducted trainings for other lawyers on topics such as jury selection, cross-examination, closing argument, and character evidence, and he has contributed materials to a National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer training on litigating an "eye-witness" identification case. And, he has appeared on Court TV's The Best Defense as a guest commentator.
Areas of Practice
- State and Federal Criminal Defense
- White Collar Crime
- Regulatory Enforcement Actions
- Grand Jury Investigations
- Extradition and International Matters
- Appeals and Collateral Proceedings
- Civil Litigation
- New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D., Member, National Trial Team; Criminal Justice Clinic - 1997
- Carleton College
- B.A., Dana Award for character and leadership; President, Carleton Student Association - 1993
- National Criminal Defense College Trial Skills Program
- Remember, "I Don't Remember Is Impeachable", Atticus, 2013
- Aaron Mysliwiec featured as guest speaker on the Ross Kaminsky show , Radio 850 Denver, 2014
- Instructor - New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Continuing Legal Education ("CLE")
- Instructor - Assigned Counsel Plan, CLE
- Instructor - The Bronx Defenders, CLE
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers® in 2020 - https://lawyers.usnews.com/lawyers/aaron-mysliwiec/363741
- "10.0 Superb" rating on the lawyer rating website Avvo - http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/10006-ny-aaron-mysliwiec-995735.html
- President's Commendation, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Finalist - Georgetown Greenhalgh Trial Competition, Georgetown University Law Center
- Public Interest Legal Scholar, Georgetown University Law Center
- Selected member of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers organization - http://www.cdtla.org/members/AaronMysliwiec/
- Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, President (2014)
- New York State Defenders Association, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- New York Criminal Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Law Offices of Dratel & Mysliwiec, Partner, 2007 to 2012
- The Bronx Defenders , Senior Trial Attorney, 2001 to 2007
- City Year, Deputy Chief of Staff, 2000 to 2001
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP, Associate, 1997 to 2000